Theme: Ageing in Our Region
New Consensuses for Innovative Multi-level Stakeholder Engagement
We are pleased to invite you to the 1st Annual SGA Regional Conference on Ageing that will take place at the Ladi Kwali Hall, Sheraton Abuja Hotels in Abuja, Nigeria from 5-7 November, 2018.
Large numbers of older persons in Sub-Saharan Africa are entering retirement age when significant social sup-port systems including long-term care have not yet been put in place. The population of older persons estimated at 4.99% of the total population in 2015 is projected to reach 7.6% by 2050, which is more than triple in ab-solute number from 64 million in 2016 to 220 million in 2050 (UN—ECOSOC 2015).
The projected rapid population of older persons in spite of relatively young population is posing simultaneous and significant policy challenges. It is against this background that the Stakeholder Group on Ageing (SGA) is organizing the African Regional Conference on Ageing with the theme Ageing in Our Region: New Consensuses for Innovative Multi-Level Stakeholder Engagement.
The Conference seeks to enhance understanding of peculiar national and common regional challenges and opportunities and to seek innovative solutions for the inclusion of older people in development in the region.
Outcomes will include enhanced competence to design and engage innovative campaigns on core areas of inequality and discrimination at the national, regional forums and high level platform on Sustainable Development Goals.
Emem Omokaro Ph.D (Dave Omokaro Foundation) Chair
Sam Togba Slewon Ph.D (INPEA) Co-Chair
Call for Abstracts
- Ageism, Myth and Rights of Older Persons.
- African Population Dynamics and the Challenges and Prospects of Inclusive Development.
- The Furthest Left Behind: Innovative Tools to Count All in.
- Aligning Health Care Systems to Acute and Long Term Care Needs of Older Persons.
- Understanding Ageing Inclusion in Implementation and Reporting of SDGs and Agenda 2063.
- Age-Friendly Environments and Intervention Framework: Older IDPs, Migrants and Refugees.
- Strengthening Institutional Engagement Mechanisms for Regional and Global Agendas.
- Galvanizing Voices of Older Persons for Action.
- Culture, Ageing and Development in Africa.
- Emerging Issues in Ageing: Innovation, Consensuses and Strategies.
- SGA Africa Regional Conference Committee invites you to submit abstracts for poster/oral presentation from August 10th – September 15th 2018.
- We welcome abstracts on the listed sub-themes above.
- Abstract submission period: August 10th – September 15th 2018.
- Only a limited number of abstract shall be allowed for oral presentation.
- Accepted abstracts shall be presented as posters.
- The body of abstracts should contain a maximum of 200 words and must be English.
- The abstract should be constructed with clear paragraph for background, methods, results, and conclusion.
- The first author must present his/her presentation.
- First author must complete pre-registration when submitting.
- Acceptable data format JPEG. Maximum file size 5mb
- Notification of abstract acceptance will be sent to the first author on September 31, 2018, not less than 2-3 keywords should also be submitted that best describe the abstract content.
Submission of Papers
SGA Conference Co- Chair
Dr Ogugua Osi-Ogbu
The Conference program will include;
- Keynote Speaker Sessions
- Plenary Panel Sessions
- Capacity Building Workshop
- Interactive Sessions
It is anticipated that the Conference will bring together 400 participants including;
- Government and Policy Makers.
- Healthcare Professionals.
- Researchers and Academia.
- Non-Government Organizations.
- Industry Leaders.
- Local Community Groups.
SGA Conference Local Organizing Committee,
76B, Ebitu Uklwe Street, Jabi District Abuja, Nigeria
Ladi Kwali Hall,
Wuse Zone 4,
Sheraton Abuja Hotel,
5-7th November, 2018
Confirm your participation
Click HERE to register. Registration is open until October 30, 2019.